Monday, October 22, 2012

Biting off more than I can chew?

I have to start this blog, not just for myself, but for all those people out there who are looking for evidenced-based medicine with consideration of 'alternative' practices, reviewed and outlined in an approachable way.

Right now I am extremely interested in the role of nutrition for neurologic recovery. The following article(s) and video have prompted me to get this show blog on the road:

Somewhere within the restraints of time, most of which is dedicated to my family and doctoring, I will find a way to maintain this site. I must. 

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'll definitely read this blog! I'm excited to see what you learn and share. Here's my testimony on how nutrition can change your mental state.

    I have had low energy for 8 years, which some people wanted to diagnose as depression because I had the classic symptom of not wanting to do things that I previously enjoyed. When we started drinking leafy green smoothies everyday this spring (and making other nutritional changes like increasing vegetables and cutting out processed foods), my energy level skyrocketed and I now have the energy to do things I enjoy again!

    I had honestly forgotten that it was possible to want to get up in the morning or to want to do things you enjoy. The difference in how I feel is crazy.

    Then a couple weeks ago we couldn't get to the garden for our kale, so we went a week without smoothies. At the end of the week, my energy had completely depleted and I felt "depressed." I was trying to identify the cause was (thinking it was stress related) when I remembered about the smoothies. We added them back in and two days later my energy started increasing again. Now four days have passed since getting back on smoothies, and I'm almost back to normal.

    That's not a scientific experiment, but it was convincing enough for me:) I didn't expect to get better at all, so I'm ruling out a placebo effect. My point: I think that a ton of people who feel depressed or who are diagnosed with depression would see a HUGE change in how they feel if they eat leafy greens every day (and eating nutritiously otherwise would help as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ariel, that's a great story. In the future, I'd like to have 'guests' on here discuss what works for them.

    ReplyDelete